What is ORENCIA
SHANNON: Hi. I'm Shannon. I'm from Pennsylvania, and I'm an ORENCIA patient.
VO: ORENCIA® (abatacept) is a prescription medicine that reduces signs and symptoms in adults with moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis (RA), including those who have not been helped enough by other medicines for RA. ORENCIA may prevent further damage to your bones and joints and may help your ability to perform daily activities. In adults, ORENCIA may be used alone or with other RA treatments other than tumor necrosis factor (TNF) antagonists. Please read Important Safety Information at the end of this presentation.
SHANNON: The moments that my doctor and I decided it was time to try ORENCIA was the time when…
SHANNON VO: …I could not get down on the floor to play with my baby. I wasn't able to really take care of him, play with him…and that was tough for me.
SHANNON: That's all I really wanted to do. So, when I went to my doctor and told him, I said I can't do this anymore. We need to try something else.
SHANNON VO: He agreed, and I'm very glad that I did.
SHANNON: Prior to my treatment with ORENCIA, my RA was managed with a couple of different medications.
SHANNON VO: Neither of them really worked for me.
SHANNON: Never got much better, but never got much worse, and…
SHANNON VO: …it just wasn't something that I was happy with.
SHANNON: The time that I realized that ORENCIA was working for me was the morning that I woke up, and I put my feet on the ground, and I didn't have the pain that I had once had. I was able to stand straight up and walk out of bed, which was a huge accomplishment for me.
AVO: Talk to your doctor and set reasonable expectations and treatment goals. It may take a little while for you to respond to the treatment. Some people see reduction in signs and symptoms sooner than others.
AVO: Important Safety Information
Inform your healthcare provider of the following, before you receive treatment with ORENCIA®:
Infections: If you have any kind of infection even if it is small (such as an open cut or sore), an infection that is in your whole body (such as the flu), an infection that will not go away, or a history of infections that keep coming back. ORENCIA may make your immune system less able to fight infections, so you may be more likely to get infections or any infection you have may get worse.
Tuberculosis: If you have had tuberculosis (TB), a positive skin test for TB, or if you recently have been in close contact with someone who has had TB. If you get any of the symptoms of TB (a cough that does not go away, weight loss, fever, night sweats), call your healthcare provider right away. Before you start ORENCIA, your healthcare provider may examine you for TB or perform a skin test.
If you have or have had Viral Hepatitis. Before you use ORENCIA, your healthcare provider may examine you for hepatitis.
If you have a history of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary (lung) Disease (COPD).
If you are scheduled to have Surgery.
Allergies to the Ingredients of ORENCIA: The ingredients of intravenous (IV) ORENCIA are: abatacept, maltose, monobasic sodium phosphate, and sodium chloride for administration. The ingredients of subcutaneous (SC) ORENCIA are: abatacept, sucrose, poloxamer 188, monobasic sodium phosphate monohydrate, dibasic sodium phosphate anhydrous, and water for injection.
Vaccinations: If you have recently received a vaccination or are scheduled for any vaccination. If you are receiving ORENCIA, and for 3 months after you stop receiving ORENCIA, you should not take live vaccines.
Diabetes: If you have diabetes and use a blood glucose monitor to check your sugar levels. The infusion of ORENCIA contains maltose, a sugar that can give falsely high blood glucose readings with some monitors on the day you receive your infusion. Your healthcare provider may tell you to use a different way to monitor your blood sugar levels. ORENCIA for SC injection does not contain maltose; therefore, you do not need to change the way you monitor your blood sugar if you are taking ORENCIA® (abatacept) subcutaneously.
Pregnancy: If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are thinking about becoming pregnant. It is not known if ORENCIA can harm your unborn baby.
Breastfeeding: You will need to decide to either breastfeed or receive treatment with ORENCIA, but not both.
If you Take Any Other Kinds of Medicine, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
If you are Taking Other Biologic Medicines to Treat RA such as: Enbrel® (etanercept), Humira® (adalimumab), Remicade® (infliximab), Kineret® (anakinra), Rituxan® (rituximab), Simponi® (golimumab), Cimzia® (certolizumab pegol), or Actemra® (tocilizumab). You may have a higher chance of getting a serious infection if you take ORENCIA with other biologic medicines.
Possible Side Effects of ORENCIA (abatacept)
ORENCIA can cause serious side effects including:
• Serious infections. ORENCIA can make you more likely to get infections or make the infection that you have get worse. Some patients have died from these infections. Call your healthcare provider immediately if you feel sick or get any of the following signs of infection: fever; feel very tired; cough; feel flu-like; or warm, red or painful skin.
• Allergic reactions. Allergic reactions can happen to people who use ORENCIA. Call your healthcare provider or get emergency medical help right away if you have any symptoms of an allergic reaction, which may include hives; swollen face, eyelids, lips, or tongue; or trouble breathing.
• Hepatitis B infection. If you are a carrier of the hepatitis B virus (a virus that affects the liver), the virus can become active while you use ORENCIA. Your healthcare provider may do a blood test before you start or while using ORENCIA.
• Vaccinations. You should not receive ORENCIA with certain types of vaccines. ORENCIA may cause some vaccinations to be less effective.
• Respiratory problems in patients with COPD. You may get certain respiratory problems more often if you receive ORENCIA and have COPD, including: worsened COPD, cough, or trouble breathing.
Please read the Patient Information and Full Prescribing information found on ORENCIA.com
ORENCIA® (abatacept) for moderate
ORENCIA is a prescription
- Works at a source early in the inflammation process
- Has helped new RA patients and those not helped enough by other RA treatments
- Reduces pain and swelling of moderate to severe RA in adults and helps reduce further joint damage
ORENCIA has helped new rheumatoid arthritis (RA) patients and those not helped enough by other RA treatments, including methotrexate, Enbrel® (etanercept), Humira® (adalimumab),
and Remicade® (infliximab)
Selected Important Safety Information
ORENCIA can cause serious side effects including:
Common side effects with ORENCIA are headache, upper respiratory tract infection, sore throat, and nausea. Other side effects in children and adolescents may include diarrhea, cough, fever, and abdominal pain.
In this section you can learn about ORENCIA clinical trials results, side effects, and
the science behind ORENCIA.